John Currin and I were out at a bar in 1987 in Hoboken he had just met Andrea Rosen and was telling me that she was going to be the next Mary Boone. Andrea had not opened her first space yet. I said," yeah right and the stock market is going to crash tommorrow." It did.
In school John always stood out. He was making abstracted Julian Schnabel like paintings,
but was listening really carefully to William Bailey. On a studio visit, John told me that Norman Rockwell was the most important American Painter. It seems Currin is giving him a run for the money. While I understand the interest in the work it seems conservative to me, in a Ronald Reagan kinda way.
- ► 2013 (35)
- ► 2012 (46)
- ► 2011 (70)
- ► 2010 (133)
- ► 2009 (133)
- Jonah Groeneboer at Bellwether
- Michael Bell Smith at Foxy Productions
- Richard Artschwager
- Luis Gispert
- upcoming Cynthia Bloom nmps Jens Brand
- Kiska Group LTD vs. Brooklyn Fire Department
- Building 475 Kent Avenue Evacuated
- Addison Thompson finds Andy Warhol
- John Currin
- Computer Materialism/Happy Martin Luther King Day...
- Hebrew Home
- Health Care
- Adam Simon
- Doron Golan
- ▼ January (16)